Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Spiritual Laziness

1 Timothy 4:7b "Rather train yourself for godliness."

I have talked about it before on this blog, but is seems that I am quite forgetful. One of Jonathan Edwards' resolutions goes something like this, "Resolved, to live with all my might, while I do live." This is convicting to me because I am naturally very lazy. My flesh believes that happiness is found in ease. However the bible, which is ultimate truth and trumps my feelings, says differently. Psalm 16:11 lets me know quite plainly that "fullness of joy" and "pleasures forevermore" are found in God's presence. The nearer we are to God, the happier we are. This would be a depressing truth without the gospel! We are sinners and can never be close to God as long as our sin is accredited to us. But Christ came and took the punishment for our sins as He covered us in His righteousness. One of the breathtaking truths of the gospel is that everyone who has been saved by Jesus Christ is seen as righteous before God. However, we are not righteous yet. Defeated sin still remains and woos us away from obedience.

Now we come back to my problem. 1 Timothy 4:7 makes it clear that I will not come by godliness by ease. Even though I have been set free from sin, part of my sin nature remains within. Without God I am powerless to fight against this nature, but if I fight with the strength God provides, there is victory. Yet as I am quickly finding out, this does not mean I am exempt from effort. Jesus has saved me and bought me. Through Him God looks with favor upon me, nothing I can do can earn that favor. But by the strength God will give me I must work hard for the sake of godliness.

Practically this means that for me a "quiet time" a day isn't enough. Jesus shed His blood to bring me into this soul satisfying relationship with God and I cannot be content with giving Him a slice of my time. In a sense this is hatred toward myself. I was made to be constantly enthralled by God and I cannot do that if the majority of my time is spent with singular focus on me.

By God's grace I must fight spiritual laziness by training myself toward better prayer, meditation, service, worship, reading, and enjoying my Savior. Please pray for me toward this end and please strive after it yourself.

For the glory of God
Seth

No comments:

Post a Comment